Celebrate Period Poverty Awareness Week (May 23-29, 2022) by getting active for girls in need.
Every step, every mile, every lap will keep girls in school and women at work with dignity.
Do what you love for Sylvia’s Sisters. Your fundraiser or donation goes directly to providing period products to those who don’t have access. Learn more about period poverty.
|Jennifer’s Speedy Stationary
Jennifer is riding her stationary bike 11 miles/day for 5 days during Period Poverty Awareness Week. She chose 11 miles because $11 is the minimum hourly wage in Virginia and is not a living wage for essential and service-industry workers.
Erika aims to walk 12,000 (!) steps every day during Period Poverty Awareness Week for a total of 84,000 steps. Support her goal with a donation! Perhaps $84?
Brittany wants to bike 33 miles during PPAW. Thirty-three is 28, the average days of a menustrator’s cycle, plus 5, the average number of days they menustrates.
|Pooja Jumps for Period Poverty
Pooja is going to jump rope 1272x a day for the 5 days of Period Poverty Awareness Week. This adds up to $6,360, the amount the average menstruator will spend on period products over the course of their reproductive years.
|Heidi’s Century Ride
Heidi, cyclist extraordinaire, has set the ambitious goal of biking 100 miles in 5 days. Sponsor her century ride with, say, $100?
Sanjana will dance for 100 minutes a day during the 5 days of PPAW. This adds up to 500, because globally, about 500 million people who menstruate lack access to the menstrual products and hygiene facilities they need to manage their periods.
Rachel will climb 2,450 flights of stairs for the week for period poverty awareness. That amounts to seven miles, seven being an average number of days a woman menstruates.
* Donation amounts take up to 48 hours to update. Your donation may not be reflected in the above figures immediately. Thank you!
How It Works
- Sign up to be a fundraiser. We need your name, email and goal. That’s it! Your goal can be anything: swim a certain number of laps or walk a certain number of steps, run miles, shoot hoops, play golf or rounds of tennis. All activity will take place during Period Poverty Awareness Week, May 22-28.
- We’ll add your fundraiser to the list above and send you a personalized donation link.
- Share your fundraiser with your personal networks.
- The week of May 22-28, get moving! Log those miles, laps, steps, swings, and shots.
- Celebrate your success! (And if you want, come to our yoga class on May 28!)
Yoga & Pilates Class on Menstrual Hygiene Awareness Day
May 28 is International Menstrual Hygiene Awareness Day! We’re going to celebrate girls around the world and the success of another Sylvia’s Cyclones with a free/donations-only yoga/pilates class.
- What: An outdoor yoga hour
- When: May 28, 2022, 1:00pm
- Who: Fundraisers, donors, and everybody is invited. Bring your friends!
- Where: Bon Air Library, 9103 Rattlesnake Road, North Chesterfield, VA 23235 (meet on the grassy front lawn)
- Please bring a towel or mat, water and sunscreen.
- Please RSVP here (not required).